Sunday, June 3, 2012

ALC day 1 : Santa Cruz

oh hey there. what a long day this was. I slept about 3 hour last night before getting up at 3:30am to head down to ALC opening ceremonies. I got nervous or the first time about the trip when I saw how long the bathroom lines were. I almost soiled myself while waiting to get in to the men's room amongst a sea of gay men.

we didn't actually leave the cow palace until around 7 or 7:30? we then proceeded on a very different route than I have usually taken to half moon bay. thankfully it was much easier.

I was feeling super good for having no sleep. however, around mile 45 I started feeling the lack of sleep. we ate lunch on a beach overlook and I passed out in the grass for about 5 minutes before we hit the road again. I was definitely still dragging for the next 20 or so miles until we got the next bathroom spot.

I don't know what happened, but after that I had a surge of energy and assistance from a sick tail wind that propelled me at an average speed of about 22 mph for the last 20 miles of the ride.

all in all, today was a really good day. other then being super sleepy, I felt pretty good and averaged around 15mph which is pretty decent for how many people there are to contend with on this ride. there are something like 1800 riders. I never thought I would say the phrase "on your left" so much in my life.

anyway, I had vegan sloppy joes for dinner. BOOM! ok, I gotta go to sleep. tomorrow we have a century to tackle.

No comments:

Post a Comment