Monday, June 4, 2012

ALC: kings city / SAGGED

well today was interesting... we woke up at 4:45am to get things rolling. packed up our bedding, then popped over to the breakfast tent.

Jessica and I wanted to get an early start, so we jumped in the express breakfast line to have some cold cereal. as we found out after a very long wait for express breakfast... all of our teammates who went to a regular line got their food before us. way to go "express" line.

after that Jessica and I hopped on our
bikes to hit the road for the scheduled 100 mile ride. getting out of Santa Cruz took forever. so many stop lights while waiting in line at each one. we usually had to wait 2 to 3 lights before even being able to go through. it is pretty exhausting stopping and going do damn much.

anyway, the rise out of town was hazing and sprinkly. we started the day off pretty wet. about 20 miles in it started raining for real and we were blessed with some pretty strong head winds to blow it extra hard in our faces. as we kept riding it just rained harder and harder.

by the time I got to the second rest stop I was soaked and freezing and my morale was super low. I hate being wet. the only thing that. an make that worse is when it is also cold and windy and there is nothing I can do about it.

as we were snacking at the rest stop I was considering just getting on the support bus and getting out of there. however, I kept hearing everyone say "oh it is warm and dry at the lunch spot" which was only 9 more miles.

so we hopped on our bikes and crushed that 9 miles. I was pushing super hard to get to that sunny lunch spot, but to my dismay... it was colder, and rainier than it was before. I was already ready to throw in the towel as I was freezing and wet... however, the ALC called it for me. they closed down the route. womp womp. they ended up having to bus 1500 riders back to camp. yikes!

anyway, I was relieved to get on that warm bus and get the hell out of there. it's now sunny, but windy, back at camp. hopefully the rain doesn't come after us here!

ps. here is George waiting for the bus

No comments:

Post a Comment